Servo System Troubleshooting
Common Issues & Causes in Servo Motor Systems
Even well-maintained servo motor systems can experience issues during normal operation. From TigerTek's servo repair technicians, here's a list of common issues and potential causes.
Issue: Axis or System runs uncontrollably
- The velocity feedback, position feedback device or velocity command signal wiring is incorrect or open.
- An internal system malfunction exists.
- Shorted power transistor module(s) exist.
- JP1 on the servo amplifier is set incorrect.
Issue: Axis or System is unstable
- Velocity Loop Compensation or GAIN potentiometer is incorrectly set.
- Position loop gain or position controller accel/decel rate is improperly set.
- Improper grounding or shielding techniques are causing noise to be transmitted into the position feedback or velocity command lines, causing erratic axis movement.
- Incorrect jumper placement.
Issue: Desired motor acceleration/deceleration cannot be obtained
- The 1 LIMIT pot is incorrectly set.
- The system inertia is beyond motor/amplifier capabilities.
- The system friction torque is excessive.
- Servo amplifier current rating is insufficient to supply the sufficient torque.
- The Current Feedback Scaling is incorrect.
- External 1 limit incorrect.
Issue: Motor does not respond to a Velocity Command
- The system has a malfunction.
- The system is not enabled.
- The power contactor is not energized.
- Isolation transformer is supplying the incorrect voltage or none at all.
- The motor wiring is open.
- The motor or transformer thermal overload has tripped.
- The motor has malfunctioned.
Presence of noise on Command or Tach signal wires
- 60 Hz line frequency may be present.
- Incorrect wiring or grounding practice.
Although these are some fairly common issues with servo systems, should any repairs be required, we highly recommend choosing an experienced, dedicated servo motor repair shop such as TigerTek. Our team of factory trained technicians is equipped with the knowledge and tools to troubleshoot and repair all major servo motor issues, before run-testing the motor & returning it with a detailed failure report.
Discover why TigerTek is the servo repair source for hundreds of clients across the United States - call us today at 1.
or contact us for a free estimate.